Monday, 9 September 2013

Illustrations of horses and ponies

Illustrations of horses and ponies seemed to be popular with publishers and earlier this year I worked on four nonfiction lift-the-flap books. Horses and ponies was one those four books.


Illustrations of horses and ponies: I'm afraid I cannot mention the publisher just yet, because the book is one of a series of twenty-four that I am going to be working on. Once the first four are published I can reveal a little more, but only a little!

The work is all rendered in nib pen and coloured inks, used in soft washes that I build up gradually. I work this way so that I can judge better the build up of colour and have greater control over the end result. The deadline for this book I would classify as 'Mission Impossible', even the client was apologetic. It all boiled down to the fact that the buyer of the series, wanted the first four books yesterday! So I had quite a challenge on my hands, as a book on horses and ponies requires quite a bit of research, before you can even start sketching out ideas.

All the artwork had to be cut to white, as the book is lift the flap and the layouts just work better with artwork cut to white. The age range for the series is five to seven years, which is why I think I was chosen to work on them. I am not strictly speaking a reference illustrator, but my style does work with this age range.

I hope to share with you artwork from the first four books over the next few posts, and so here today are two pieces of artwork from this book...