Thursday, 15 November 2012

Agatha Christie

I have been very busy - hence my lack of blogging! I have worked on lots of spreads for the Agatha Christie Book Collection, I have written three picture books, am in the process of illustrating an English learner fiction book. Probably some other stuff too, but I can't remember! O_o!


Anyway today I thought I'd share with you some of the work I have completed for Agatha Christie's suspects, red herrings and some of the heroes! Heroes later this week, and so watch this blog!

Books I've worked on recently are They do it with mirrors, The moving finger, Passengers to Frankfurt and the current one, which involves a mysterious man and is set in 1926. For all those aficionados out there, I'm sure you can guess the title of that one?

Anyway here is some artwork from a selection of these briefs. A mixture of sketches and final artwork...

This is a sketch of the left hand side of the spread for They do it with mirrors. I usually do the background separately, once the editor knows what he wants. 





This is the colour version. The novel is set in 1950s and so I have tried to give the artwork a slight 1950s feel, within the constraints of the brief and layout.




Here's a character sketch from Passengers to Frankfurt. Had quite a lot of fun with some of the characters from this book! Absolutely full of eccentrics!


Here's a closure look at his face. I put quite a lot of detail into the roughs for this particular project, as so much detail is given in the briefs and I want to make sure I've got it right for the editor and the Agatha Christie team!



Later this week, I'll share the colour artwork from this spread with you - be prepared for some truly odd characters!