Thursday, 9 February 2012

Jacket cover artwork

Today I have started to work on ideas for the jacket cover artwork for the fantasy book I have been working on and a very important map that is going to be used in the book and elsewhere in the project. Luckily I have some architects drawings to work from for the map, but need to make it a little three dimensional too with the odd villain, which is the tricky bit!

I have never done a jacket cover before and so will happily admit to having done some research at my local library. One thing I noticed was the fact that most jacket's have very simple pieces of artwork on the covers. They usually include portraits of the main characters - in a dynamic pose of course and a devise to enable the designer to drop in the book title. So with that in mind I have been playing around with some ideas today.

The book contains fantasy characters yet to be brought into the world, which is exciting and the writer, who is a lovely lady can't wait to see the finished book!

I know I am starting to sound like a broken record, but as usual cannot share artwork with you just yet, but here's a picture of a fantasy character I haven't shared with you before that I did a couple of years ago.