Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Please teacher can you read the bum bum book?

I would like to share with you today some funny things that have recently happened to me when working with children. 
Once a week I do a story time session at a local nursery. Most of the children are between the ages of three up to school age. One little boy Harry, who happens to be four has clearly discovered where I live. There I was on Sunday, busily decorating my living room, when there’s a tiny, wee knock at my front door. I open it to find little Harry standing there and the first words out of his mouth were “please teacher can you read the bum bum book to me?” I had to smile. He was referring to a lift the flap book, called ‘Bums’. I had to explain to him that I didn’t have it at home so I couldn’t! Then I thought alarmingly what on earth is he doing out and about on his own? Then his older sister appeared from around the corner!
I also happened to read another book to them called ‘More pants!’. I then asked them what kind of pants they would like if they could wish for them. Here are some of the more odd responses: cake pants, ice-creams pants you can lick, monster pants with spikes!, pants that can make you fly and my all time favourite, stinky pants!