Monday, 25 April 2011

Art tip of the week - work out your colours

This week I thought I would give you a useful tip when working in colour. Now if you are creating an image from your head, i.e. not from life, landscape or still life then working out the colours in advance is very important. As an illustrator I am always creating images from my imagination, but you can very quickly make mistakes with awful colour combinations if you haven’t thought about them first. I know this, because I’ve done it - lots of times unfortunately! 
A useful tip - and one I’ve seen Janet Ahlberg use in her original artwork - is next to your artwork or on a separate sheet of paper, try all your colours out first, using small dabs or squares of paint, colour pencil (whatever your using). Place them next to one and other to compare. Creating a sort of mini-palette and see which colours work together. This way not only can you avoid any major colour clashes, but you can also work out your overall colour palette and therefore the mood or feeling you want to convey. Also it is a good way of seeing if one dramatic colour, amongst the rest really works and adds something extra to your finished artwork. Simple but effective.